Frequently Asked Questions

Farmville Housing Answers to Common Questions


What is Public Housing?

Public Housing is a federally funded rental assistance program that is located in the city limits of Farmville NC. The FHA is the landlord. Your rental assistance is directly tied to the unit you are assigned. All program participants are required to pay 30% of their monthly income towards their own rent and utilities.

Please note: Public Housing has a $50 minimum rent requirement.

Who can apply to Public Housing?

The FHA accepts applications from both market rate renters, as well as those needing rental assistance. Applicants are screened according to HUD and Housing Authority policy. Applicants will be subject to criminal, credit, sex offender, and landlord background checks.

Do I have to have income in order to be eligible for Public Housing?

No, this is why the minimum rent is in place.

Examples of income could be any or all of the following: employment income, child support, social security, TANF, and odd jobs paid in cash.

What are the income guidelines?

Number in Household Annual Income

 Income Guidelines

Note: Income limits subject to change based on currently released rates.

Can I be over income?
    • Yes. may not be approved; If approved you may be offered a flat rent option.

Current flat rents are listed below : 


Bedroom size fair Market Rent  Flat Rent
0 Bedroom $616.00 $493.00
1 Bedroom $620.00 $496.00
2 Bedroom $775.00 $620.00
3 Bedroom $1,100.00 $880.00
4 Bedroom $1,361.00 $1,089.00
5 Bedroom $1,565.00 $1,252.00

Official chart

Please note: A utility allowance maybe given per bedroom sizes. Utility Allowances are subject to change based on HUD guidelines, and flat rents are subject to change based on currently released Fair market rents as well as utilit analysis reports. 

How do I apply for the Public Housing program?

You may pick up an application from our receptionist at our office located on 4284 Anderson Avenue , Farmville, NC, 27828. If you need further assistance please contact our receptionist at 252-753-5347 During normal business hours.

I am on the waiting list and have a change of information, do I need to report it?

Yes! It is very important that you let us know of any updated information while your name is on the waiting list.

We communicate by letter and telephone. If we are trying to contact you and don’t hear from you within 10 days we will consider your file closed. Your name will then be removed from the waiting list and you will have to apply again.

Can I request a certain development or street?

No. If you are deemed eligible, you will be shown the first unit available meeting your bedroom number requirements.

Can I refuse a unit that is shown to me?

Yes. You can refuse one (1) time. After that your file is considered closed and you must reapply to the program.

Who pays for the utilities?

Tenants pay utilities but FHA provides monthly utility allowances to help aid in water, sewer and electric expenses.

Phone, cable, and internet are the responsibility of the tenant.

Is there a security deposit?

Yes. $250 for all Public Housing Units, One months rent for multi-family property . We request the security deposit paid at time of move-in. If you have a hardship request payment arrangements may be made.

What amenities are provided?

A range (stove) and refrigerator,Free parking is provided at all sites.

On-site maintenance is provided along with lawn service and quarterly exterminating services. 

Can I have pets?

Yes,  you must pay a $100.00 non-refundable pet deposit, as well a $150.00 deposit for a total of $250.00. The dog or cat cannot be over 25 lbs and you must have documentation showing that the pet is spayed/neutered and all shots are up to date.

Please note some breeds are excluded.

If I have a maintenance issue who do I call?

For maintenance issues, tenants can call our main office from 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Thursday and 8:00 to Noon, Friday at 252-753-5347

If it is a non-emergency and after hours please leave a message on the answering machine EXT :205 and we will get back to you on our next business day.

For EMERGENCIES ONLY that are after hours or on weekends, tenants can call 252-717-4682 and someone will respond as soon as possible.


What happens after I complete an application for Public Housing?
    • Your application needs to be completely filled out with ALL requested information and returned to our office. If we receive an application that is not completely filled out with ALL requested information, you will be contacted to finish completing your application , If you fail to so so, We will not be able to accept the application.

      You may bring your application to our office, (by appointment only) you may mail it back in.


Physical Address Mailing Address
4284 Andreson Avenue , Farmville, NC, 27828 P.O. Box 282 , Farmville 27828


Once your completed application has been received at the Housing Authority office you will then be placed on the waiting list according to the date and time your application was received.

Preferences maybe given to families who are fall under the following categories of Elderly/Disabled, Natural Disasters/Emergency Displacements, Veterans and Homless persons. No one preference carries more weight than another.

Once this has been done you will remain on our waiting list until your name reaches the top.

It is your responsibility to report any changes in your household while you are on the waiting list. Examples of changes that need to be reported are: your address, your phone number, you or your co-head start or loose employment, have additions or deletions to those that wish to be your lease, etc.

Contact Information

Main Office

After hours emergency line for maintenance 

Local police department 

[email protected]


Office Hours

Monday – Thursday
9:00 to 5:00

8:00 to 12:00 

Closed daily for lunch
12:30 to 1:30